Updated: Jun 24, 2020
Mark's guide to getting these 2 concepts down pat! (Plus a PDF version to print & share below)
1. Welcome to country is a contemporary expression of an ancient custom. It is fundamental to understanding our relationship with the First Nations and Australia’s lands and waters. See Australians Together and Reconciliation Australia.
2. We all have contemporary expressions of our ancient customs - some of us can remember because we were taught while others of us have forgotten or were never taught. Check out this video, Understanding Ceremony. To explore more about cultural awareness, competency and intelligence you might want to check out Supply Nation, Arrilla and Mahana Culture.
3. Welcome to Country is a universal human dynamic of being a host and welcoming others. If you’re considering how this relates to your context then it’s worth a visit to Inclusive Australia, Welcoming Australia and Diversity Council Australia.
4. Acknowledging the lands and waters of the First Nations is a powerful foundation for our National Australian identity. Here are two examples of weaving the acknowledgement of First Nations with the cultural diversity of our Australian identity: Core Concepts of Australian Culture on the SBS Cultural Altas, Behind The News Refugees and Migrants Special.
5. Australia has the capability of combining Acknowledgement/Welcome to Country from a First Nations perspective and Being a Welcoming Country for the newly arrived. MY TIP to improve our understanding of our Australian diversity and improving our relationship with First Nations is take a look at Welcome to Country by Marcia Langton and at the work of Peter Drew.
Welcome to this country where we have the oldest continuing cultures on earth and every culture on earth.
Share, download and print out our guide as a pdf here: